FUNCTIONS OF THE HARBOR POLICE PATROL DIVISION
The primary law enforcement
activities of the Department shall be the responsibility of the Patrol
Division. Functions shall be generalized and officers shall perform a wide
variety of activities.
will include inquiry and inspectional activities which shall be oriented
- Prevention of crime through proactive patrol.
- Discovery of hazards
- Coordinating with Port businesses and
tenants to ensure good public relations and crime prevention.
Fire inspections and patrol.
Response to calls for service.
Investigation and reporting of all crimes.
Patrol Division officers are responsible for
investigating all crimes reported to the Department which occurred within
the Departmentís service area. This also includes:
- Administering aid to the injured.
- Arresting of offenders.
- Fully recording and reporting the incident.
- Giving testimony in court cases.
- Traffic accident investigation, direction,
control and enforcement.
- Regulation of certain businesses or activities
as required by law or ordinances of the Port of New Orleans.
- Maintenance of public order.
- Assisting in providing emergency services.
- Reporting the arrivals and departure of marine
vessels within the Port.
- Development of good public relations between
citizens and the Department.
- Reporting information to other divisions of
Port of New Orleans Harbor Police
Dept. Operations Manual, G.O. 41.1.1